As of February 2011 a same-day visa can be issued at the Myanmar embassy in Bangkok. To get the visa the same day you must tell the visa window that you are leaving tomorrow. They will issue your visa later that same day by 3:30PM and it is valid starting the day it was issued.

While ASEAN and PRC nationals may have had visa-free access in the past, the Myanmar Embassy in Singapore declares that "all nationalities" must obtain visas before travel 9 April 2008. Some additional restrictions, requirements or conditions may be applied to applications - reports have included a need for a detailed itinerary, a detailed job history, etc. be prepared for some unusual questions either on the forms, or from the Consulate staff when applying for your visa. Though not explicitly stated, it has been reported that the authorities only allow one trip to the country every 6 months.

Myanmar has announced the resumption of Visa On Arrival VOA starting in June 2012 for several countries including all ASEAN member states. The following categories of VOA are available: BUSINESS VISA, valid up to 70 days upon entry; ENTRY VISA Meetings/Workshops/Events valid up to 28 days upon entry; TRANSIT VISA valid up to 24 hours upon entry. Ensure you check the embassy website for the specific details. Despite reports saying that the government has reintroduced VOA for tourists, as of 5 June 2012, all tourists must apply via embassies.

The easiest way to get the visa is to apply through a travel agency in your home country. The form is simple and requires an ID photo or two. In Bangkok, it takes one or two business days. A standard application for a tourist visa requires: a completed visa form available from the Embassy, a completed arrival form again, from the Embassy, a photocopy of the photo page from your passport, two passport sized photos, the applicable fee 810 Thai Baht - US$24 as at September 2009. In Hong Kong, you can get the visa by applying between 9am and 12pm, and picking it up after 3pm on the following business dayyour passport, 3 passport-size photos, business card / leave letter from your employer or student ID if you're a student, and application fee of HK$150 - US$19.

Note: The Embassy in Washington D.C. is swamped with visa applications. Myanmar is now going through a lot of growth in which they might not meet their 10 business day processing time. Travellers have reported that it has taken over 3 weeks to get their visa returned to them. Make sure you send your passport to the embassy at least 1 month before travel

Tourist Visa is valid for 3 months from the date of issue. The duration of your stay in Myanmar is 28 days from the date of arrival. It is not extendable. Successful applicants will also be issued an "Arrival Form", which will be stapled into your passport and must be presented on arrival in Myanmar, along with your passport containing the visa sticker. Ensure that the visa sticker, and arrival form have both been signed by the immigration officer before leaving the Embassy. Note that you will still have to fill in the usual customs and immigration forms on your flight into the country.

By road
By road

Hopping across the Thai border into Myanmar's border towns is easy, but crossing into or out of Myanmar proper by land varies between difficult and impossible. Visa-free entry is possible at some border crossings, but you must then exit Myanmar via the same border crossing, usually but not always on the same day that you enter, and fees apply normally US$10.All land border crossings into Myanmar give only restricted access to the border areas.The only way to visit locations throughout the country, is to enter and exit Myanmar by air.


Tachileik / Mae Sai - foreigners can access this crossing from either side, and enter and/or exit either country here. As of March 2007, travel beyond Kengtung to the rest of Myanmar is not possible, even with a valid tourist visa can however visit Mongla, but this has become more respectable as the Chinese casinos have cleaned up their act. Travellers wishing to exit Myanmar at Tachileik can only do so with a permit from the MTT office in Yangon.

Myawaddy / Mae Sot - foreigners can only access this crossing from the Thai side; neither onward travel into Myanmar ie beyond the border town nor overnight stays are possible. No visa needed; instead there's an entry stamp fee - US$10 if paid with US$ notes, more 500 baht if paid with Thai currency. As of August 2009, only Thai baht is accepted.

Three Pagodas Pass Payathonzu / Sangkhlaburi - foreigners can only access this crossing from the Thai side; onward travel into Myanmar ie beyond the border town is not possible; entry/exit stamps are NOT issued here, and foreigners passports are held at the Myanmar checkpoint, where a fee is levied - US$10 if paid with US$ notes, more 500 baht if paid with Thai currency. However, as of November 25, 2008, this crossing is temporarily closed. Note: It was reopened in December 2010.

Kawthoung / Ranong - foreigners can access this crossing from either side, and enter and/or exit either country here. If entering without a visa, maximum stay is 3 days / 2 nights, travel beyond Kawthoung is not permitted, and there's an entry stamp fee - US$10 if paid with US$ notes, more 500 baht if paid with Thai currency. As of March 2007, the only way to continue onward from here appears to be by plane to Mergui or Yangon, although there have previously been ferries on these routes as well.

China - foreigners can enter Myanmar at Lashio via Ruili in Yunnan, although a permit as well as a visa and a guide are needed. You will most likely need to join an organized tour, costing 1450 RMB as of January 2009. As of April 2009, it is impossible for foriegners to cross over from Ruili, even for the day, without first getting a visa in Kunming, ie a tour group. Crossing in the opposite direction is more difficult to arrange and details are uncertain; however, it's possible to fly from Mandalay to Kunming, and there's even a Chinese consulate that issues visas in Mandalay.

India - a land border crossing exists between India and Myanmar at Moreh/Tamu. While there have been confirmed reports of some travellers crossing into Myanmar from India, with their own transport as well as with permits arranged in advance, the general consensus is that obtaining all the necessary permits is very hard. At the least, a foreign a person who is neither a citizen of India nor a citizen of Myanmar will need to get an Indian permit to visit the state of Manipur, and an MTT permit to enter or leave Myanmar at Tamu. Travellers may also need a permit to travel from Tamu to Kalewa, although there are unconfirmed reports that this is no longer required.

Bangladesh / Laos - it is not currently feasible to independently cross the borders between Myanmar and Bangladesh or Laos.