Standing like a crown over Nafplio, Palamidi fortress build by the Venetians around 1686 and completed to its present form in 1714 was so well designed that all attempts to conquer it were unsuccessful, making it a legend at the time. Finally, in 1822, the Greeks succeeded, creating surprise and amazement. In very good condition, you can visit it by taking the legendary 999 in fact 857 stair-steps, or simply drive there. The view is unique, and you will also see many historical monuments, such as the small cave-prisons also prison of the national hero Kolokotronis and the church of Saint Andreas. At night, drive back there to enjoy a scenic view of Nafplio under the moonlight, as well as a big part of the Argolic gulf and plain, the lighted castle of Argos to the north, and the lights of small villages along the road to the neighboring prefecture of Arcadia and the town of Astros, at the north-west. 4e/2e.
The first part of the Venetian fortress of Bourtzi was built around 1400, on top of a rock-island at the entrance of the port. The architect was the venetian Antonio Gambell. During its history it has been used as a fort, as a shelter for the Greek government, as a home for unwelcome executioners, even as a hotel. Occupied by the Turks from 1715 to 1822 Today, it only takes 5 minutes to visit Bourtzi with the small boats available at the port and observe the town from the opposite side. Don’ t miss it 4e round-trip.
Really wondefull walled Mycenean palace about 4 kilometers from town. UNESCO World Heritage site. Very well preserved and easy to follow with a guidebook. This is where Hercules came back to between labours. To walk or cycle there go to the old railway station in the park next to the bus stop and follow the tracks as far as you can before cutting across to the main road. You cannot miss the site.
All of the town used to be fortified, with two parts, the seaside merchant quarter, being the present old town, and the uphill, the barracks quarter, now an open archeological site, partly hosting a hotel. At the old town fortifications only remain in the east limit, just in front of the central bus station. The large protecting trench now has been covered and it is part of the city's park.
At a first glance, Nafplio looks like an Italian city because of its architecture and the colourful houses. More fundamentally, Nafplio has a quite an interesting architecture, with many traces of eighteenth century european towns, Byzantine and Ottoman influences. Many of the old town's buildings date back to two hundred years ago.
the National Gallery
Located on Sidiras Merarchias str, just opposite of "alevri+zahari". Annex of the National Greek Gallery. In a building that a century ago served as the hospital of the town. Hosting paintings of famous Greek painters. M, Th, Sa 10AM-3PM; W, F 10AM-3PM, 5PM-8PM; S 10AM-2PM. Free M.
the Municipal Art Gallery
on Vasileos Konstantinou str in old town, hosting various seasonal exhibitions
Nafplion Art Gallery
on Vas ALexandrou 5. M-F 11AM-2PM, 7PM-9:30PM; Sa S 11AM-2:30PM
Alpha Bank Cultural Center
Presenting the exhibition "Fred Βoissonnas,pictures of Greece", till October 31, 2010.At Kolletti 4, Tu-Sa 10AM-2PM, 6PM-8:30PM, Su and holidays 10AM-3PM.
Palamedes Public Library
On Koletti and Amalias str. In an ex girls school building. M-F 8AM-6:30PM.
The Archeological Museum
The museum is right on Syntagma Square, in a Venetian building of 1714 with impressive stone arches. Recently renovated and restored internally and externally reopens October 2008 after 5 years, it includes new showcases and exhibits, accessibility and facilities for people with disabilities, and air-conditioning. In the new multimedia hall you can see documentary films, whereas children can take part in the regular programs that take place. The most important exhibit of the museum is the impressive bronze armor suit dating back to the 13th century B.C. and once worn by a Mycenaean soldier. Get the full story in the multimedia hall and travel through time to the era of ancient Greece. Entrance 2€ general / 1€ over 65 or students out of the EU / Free under 18 and EU students. M 1:30PM-8PM, Tu-Su 8AM-8PM.
The War Museum
In a beautiful historic building that served as the first military school in Greece, on the middl of Amalias str.Hosting war relics, guns, maps, paintings and photographs from the Greek revolution till the Second World War. Tu-Sa 9AM-2PM, Su and national days 9:30AM-2PM.
The Komboloi Museum
The first Komboloi or worry-beads Museum – said to be the only one worldwide – was founded in Nafplio in 1998 by Aris and Rallou Evangelinos, who have been collecting and studying the history of komboloi since 1958. The museum has had more than 55.000 visitors so far and the unique collection consists of approximately 1500 kombolois from Asia Minor, Greece, Syria, Egypt, Turkey, Persia etc that date from 1700 to 1950 and are made of various precious and rare materials. On the ground floor there is the workshop where old kombolois are repaired and new, either original or copies of the old ones, are produced. 9:30AM-9:30PM daily. Entrance fee for the museum: € 3,00
The Peloponnesian Folklore Foundation Museum PFF or PLI in Greek
The permanent exhibition at the museum is dedicated to the “Greek town – Nafplio 1822-1922”. On the ground floor, miscellaneous museum items are presented in a daring and free arrangement in order to emphasize on the multiformity of the collections, while one can also visit the new expanded museum shop. Exhibition W-M 9AM-2:30PM, 6PM-9PM, Tu 6PM-9PM. Museum shop W-M 9AM-2:30PM, 6PM-9PM, Su 6PM-9PM.Full admission : 4 € morning/ 3 € afternoon, Reduced admission for persons over 65m and an adult accompanying a child. Museum Tour : 3 €
The Stone Museum
An extension of the relevant museum in Lygourio. Containing among others specimens of fossils from the Epidaurus field, maybe the largest ammonites field in the world. Free admission. 16Apr-14Oct 09:00-14:00 & 17:00-21:00, 15Oct-15Apr 09:00-17:00, Sundays 10:00-16:00, Mondays closed. (http://www.facebook.com/g...)
The Ouzo museum
belonging to Karonis distilleries, it is located at Ag. Paraskevi area (http://www.karonis.gr/mus...).