– this moss-covered volcanic crater sits alongside the ring road about 30 km north of borgarnes. you can hike up to the rim in a few minutes, where you will have views into the crater that erupted about 3,400 years ago, and of two other nearby craters.
The islands of Breiðafjörður
– according to icelandic legend, the islands of breiðafjörður are so many that they're uncountable. sightseeing trips are available from stykkishólmur as well as tours to some of the larger islands.
– go to the top of snæfellsjökull glacier. you can get a ride in special trucks, or simply hike up on your own. just remember to pack sunglasses!
– the town festival in stykkishólmur held each august, celebrating the town's historic links to denmark.
– the farm of lýsuhóll on snæfellsnes offers horse rentals where you can ride icelandic horses on the snæfellsnes coast.
– snæfellsnes is ideal land for hikers, with its many mountains.