Cap-Haïtien is the second largest city in Haiti. It lies along a bay on the northern coast of the country. When Haiti was the French colony of Saint Domingue, as Cap Parisien the city was the colony's capital. Following independence, it was briefly the capital of the monarchy established in Haiti's North by King Henri Christophe. The country was unified upon Christophe's death in 1820, and the capital moved to Port-au-Prince.