New Zealand

Outdoor and adventure activities include:

Abseiling Waitomo

Aerial sightseeing helicopter and fixed-wing


Black water rafting cave rafting

Boat Tours

Bungy Jump Queenstown, Auckland, Lake Taupo - the modern bungy jump was invented here by New Zealander A.J. Hackett.

Canoeing and kayaking on rivers and lakes


Caving Waitomo, Nelson, South Island West Coast, Te Anau



Fishing - trout some of the finest trout-fishing in the world, salmon, marlin, broadbill, sharks and many other salt-water species

Fly by wire invented here

Four-wheel driving

Gliding - Omarama is one of the best places in the world for gliding

Golf - New Zealand has over 400 registered golf courses, from local clubs to internationally renowned resorts, offering uncrowded golfing & superb scenery.


Heli-hiking at Fox Glacier

Hiking - New Zealand has a number of national parks and other wilderness and forested areas, much of which is managed by the Department of Conservation ( The activity known in other countries as hiking, trekking or bushwalking is known as tramping in New Zealand and is a very popular activity for visitors and locals.

Horse trekking

Hot-air ballooning

Hunting - several species of deer, wild pig wild boar, tahr, chamois, goat, wallabies they are protected in Australia but a pest here, game birds.



Kite surfing

Luge on concrete not ice Auckland, Queenstown, Rotorua.

Mountaineering - this was the training ground for Sir Edmund Hillary, one of the first two people to climb Mt Everest.

Mountain biking


Nature tours


Quad biking


Rap jumping

River jetboating - the Hamilton jet was invented by New Zealander William Hamilton.


Rugby - the national game. Major tournaments include Super Rugby, Tri Nations and ITM Cup. New Zealand is hosting the next Rugby World Cup in Sep - Oct 2011 (http://www.newzealandrugb...)

Sailing - New Zealand has produced many world-champion yachties and is the only country apart from the US to have won and successfully defended yachting's ultimate prize, the America's Cup.

Scuba diving and snorkeling, especially down to the sunken Rainbow Warrior at Matauri Bay, not far from Kerikeri.

Sea kayaking [Abel Tasman Marine Reserve]

Shark cage diving Kaikoura

Skiing and snowboarding including heli-skiing Queenstown



Swimming with dolphins Kaikoura, Bay of Islands

Swimming with seals

Whale watching Kaikoura

White water rafting Fox Glacier

White water sledging / dam dropping


Zorbing invented here Agrodome in Rotorua


Lord of the Rings Tours are tours that show actual locations used in the filming of The Lord of the Rings.

To work in New Zealand you need to be a citizen or current permanent resident of either New Zealand or Australia, or else have a work permit or appropriate visa. If you are intending to work in New Zealand you should obtain a work permit along with any tourist visas you might apply for.

You will also need to have a New Zealand bank account, as most employers pay using electronic banking rather than in cash; an Inland Revenue Tax Number, as witholding tax or income tax will be deducted from your wages by your employer; and a tax declaration form, as tax will be deducted at the no declaration rate of 45% unless you have a tax code. More information about New Zealand's tax system, including appropriate forms, can be obtained from Inland Revenue (

The process of applying for an IRD number is between 8-10 working days. You will need to fill in the IRD number application form, and provide a photocopy of a passport or New Zealand birth certificate. It is possible to apply for the IRD number, then call the department around a week later to request the number by phone, however this will depend on the workload of the processing centres at the time. Calling the IRD requires several forms of ID, it is ideal to be able to provide your passport number and full address when requested.

New Zealand operates a simplified tax system that tends to collect more tax than people need to pay because employers pay their worker's tax when they pay their workers. The obligation is then on the worker to claim overpaid tax back, rather than declaring their income and paying any extra tax. Be careful though, if you choose to work in New Zealand and you stay more than 183 days in any 12-month period, your worldwide income could be taxed. New Zealand has double taxation agreements with several countries to stop tax being paid twice. A safe rule of thumb is to pay all tax demands and Not seek claims for redress on any matter.

Being a foreigner means that your New Zealand income is subject to local income tax at the fullest levels. Although many people believe that they can collect all their tax back when they leave the country, this is not true. It may be the case that filing an income tax return may result in a small refund if working for only part of the year; however, this is not likely the case. Tax in all its forms in New Zealand amounts to around half of a worker's income.

For many years, New Zealand schools and universities have educated foreign students from the countries of Southeast Asia and education has now become a major source of export earnings for the country. In recent years English language schools have been established for students from the region, particularly South Korea and China, but also many other countries.

Education in New Zealand is compulsory from age 6 to 16 years, though almost all children begin attending school at age 5 and often stay at school for 13 years, until 17 or 18 years old. Primary schooling is from Year 1-6 formerly J1-Standard 4, intermediate schooling is Year 7 and 8 formerly forms one and two, while secondary schooling is from Year 9-13 formerly forms 3 to 7. In some primary and secondary schools one or both of the intermediate years may be combined with either the primary or secondary years. There are also Middle Schools which cover the intermediate years and the first two years of secondary, but these are rare.

Secondary schools are also called high schools generally Years 9-13 and colleges generally Years 7-13. A college does not refer to universities in New Zealand unlike in some other countries, though some specialised single-subject tertiary training-centres may also be called colleges.

Primary, intermediate and secondary compulsory schooling is free for citizens and permanent residents, although some nominal fees are generally charged to cover consumable materials. Tertiary education is state assisted, with part of the tuition costs funded by the state. International students will need to pay for their education; in some cases this includes a national profit margin.

The Ministry of Education has established a Code of Practice that New Zealand educational institutions enrolling international students need to abide by. This Code of Practice includes minimum standards for the 'PC 'pastoral care of international students. Primary school students, or those age 10 or under, need to either live with a parent or else board in a school hostel. Additionally, older students, who are under age 18, may live in homestays, temporary accommodation or with designated caregivers. Where the institution arranges accommodation for students older than age 18 the code of practice applies to their accommodation situations also.

New Zealand citizens, permanent residents and refugees can receive financial assistance through loans and allowances, to pay the tuition fees and to attend tertiary education at Universities, Polytechnics, Whananga Maori operated universities/polytechnics and Private Training Providers. Overseas students will need to pay the full tuition fees and their own living costs while studying at a New Zealand institution.

Overseas students need to have a student visa and a reasonable level of cash to spend in order to undertake a course of study at a New Zealand based educational institution. Visas are generally valid for the duration of the course of study and only while the student is attending the course of study. New Zealand educational institutions will inform the appropriate immigration authorities if a student ceases to attend their enrolled courses, who may then suspend or cancel that student's visa. Educational institutions often also exchange this enrollment and attendance data electronically with other government agencies responsible for providing student assistance.

long term

If you want to stay in New Zealand long term, you should apply well ahead of time. New Zealand operates a points system for assessing applicants.

Refugee applications should be made before arrival since NZ has a formal refugee induction programme.

Those who turn up in a New Zealand airport arrival lounge without papers, claiming refugee status, may find themselves put on a return flight to their country of origin or in jail awaiting the outcome of legal proceedings.


Volunteering is a great way to get to meet locals and see the island, National Parks and nature reserves of New Zealand. You can speak with the local Department of Conservation office about volunteering opportunities or choose from any number of worldwide organizations that offer extended travel for anyone willing to volunteer their time to work with locals on projects such as community development, conservation, wildlife sanctuary maintenance & development, scientific research, & education programs.

Volunteer Projects in New Zealand (http://www.go-volunteerab...)

Global Volunteer Network (http://www.globalvoluntee...)

Volunteer New Zealand (

International Student Volunteers New Zealand (

New Zealand Rain Forest Conservation (

New Zealand Trust for Conservation Volunteers (http://www.conservationvo...)

Volunteering Waikato (http://www.volunteeringwa...)